What else beckons to the predator in a dog more than the squeaky toy? If talking about my dog, I would say only the squirrel he can never catch.
Perhaps what you really want to ask is how can you decide on the best squeaky dog toys when there are so many choices? We reviewed several squeaky toys for dogs and narrowed the selection to five of the best based on safety, durability, and pup appeal.
Quick Picks: The 5 Top-Rated Squeaky Dog Toys
Last update on 2020-11-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In a hurry? Check our best pick above, or keep reading for product reviews and buying guide.
5 Best Squeaky Dog Toys Reviewed
We reviewed quite a few dog squeaky toys and selected five that offered the greatest attraction for dogs, were the safest on the market and had the highest durability standards.
If you have small children, you may have a fight between them and your puppy for this attractive Knotties Cow. Something about floppy stuffed animals appeals to young dogs and babies. This toy is one in a long line of innovative characters.
These toys are not only cute, but they are also created to withstand the rigors of rambunctious play and avid chewing. In fact, they are tested to handle 100 pounds of pressure from pulling.
HuggleHounds laminates two layers of lining together and affixes this to the outer surface of the plush part of the toy. Knotted limbs make convenient handles as well as points to shake and toss the toy in independent or interactive play.
HuggleHounds toys are CE-certified, meaning a European governing body states they conform to rigorous health, environmental, and safety standards.
- This is one of the few plush toys labeled for large dogs.
- It has a patented Tuffut Technology double lining to increase durability.
- Each cow has five squeakers to provide continual stimulation.
- The plush corduroy material is soft yet strong.
- The toy is machine-washable.
- It is not durable for aggressive chewers.
- Some customers complained of inconsistent quality.
When your dog prefers small prey-like toys or even comfort toys, the PAWABOO pet rattle makes a good choice. Resembling a small porcupine, it can be carried around like a doll or tossed like a fetch toy.
The plush dog toys are designed to maintain their shape, bouncing back to their original forms after repeated bouts of biting and chewing. This toy only uses high-quality faux fur and fabrics to ensure more durability and resistance against tearing.
- This toy is machine washable.
- You can simply clean the hedgehog with a damp cloth to remove mild dirt.
- A three-layer mesh inside the toy adds more tear resistance.
- The toy’s softness has no sharp edges and provides a plush alternative to plastic squeakies.
- Materials are eco-friendly.
- This toy is visually attractive to both people and dogs.
- The hedgehog is 5.5 inches in circumference and 10.2 inches long, an ideal prey size for medium dogs like Cocker spaniels or border collies.
- The hedgehog is not durable for aggressive chewers.
- Many people found it smaller than what they would have preferred.
- It is specifically for puppies and small to medium-sized dogs.
If your dog loves chewing on bones, but you don’t have anything from the butcher, this toy may keep her entertained for hours. It is made from rubber which invites biting and chewing. The squeaker and varying textures of the bone’s surface should help maintain her attention.
This squeaky bone has handles on either end that make it easy for your dog to grip it. Bumps on the surface provide additional structures to help stimulate your dog’s gums and encourage the use of her tongue and teeth.
- The design enables ease of lifting, carrying, and tossing.
- Raised bumps may massage the gums to facilitate dental health.
- Mixing the textures up on the toy helps keep dogs mentally stimulated and interested.
- Your dog can shake the toy to get it to squeak rather than biting down on it.
- You can stuff treats into this toy, an additional dimension to keep your pet’s attention.
- It is durable for most dogs and withstands aggressive chewing.
- The handles at the end are hard plastic.
- This toy does contain DEHP (a phthalate used to increase flexibility) which California has deemed carcinogenic.
What if your dog could have five toys in one? This puppy toy provides an amusement park of features for your pet. It squeaks, but it also crinkles if you have a corgi who likes to chew on plastic bottles.
As a ragged doll/duck concept, it can also act as a comfort toy or a prey-mimicking item. Biting or pressing on the squeaker in the head will attract your dog and keep him entertained. Finally, the toy features a rope that you can keep tying knots in. These make ideal handles for shaking or carrying the toy.
- The head can double as your dog’s pillow.
- There is no stuffing in the body of the toy.
- If the rope unravels you can retie it, and it is designed to resort to its original form easily.
- The squeaker (in the head) and crinkle paper (in the body and tail) are in different parts of the toy to keep captivating your pup.
- The head may not be very durable – susceptible to puncturing and ripping.
- Dogs can pull the material on the outside of the toy and make a mess.
Made by Planet Dog, the Orbee-Tuff is backed by a focus on quality, innovation, and value. It performs charity work with training and other projects for support canines.
I did not know the FDA had anything to do with dog toys until I ran across the Orbee. These squeaky balls are made in the United States and are FDA-approved.
Based on the original Orbee tuff-ball, it is as durable as it is appealing to a dog. The spherical toy is irresistible to dogs and was voted Whole Journal’s “Most Durable Dog Ball” of 2017. It is both chewy and bouncy, and of course, features a squeaker.
- Squeaky sound has been modified to frequencies more tolerable for humans.
- The squeaker is in a non-toxic sleeve that has been molded into the center of the ball.
- Dishwasher safe even through a normal wash cycle.
- This toy is BPA and phthalate free and uses no adhesives.
- The ball floats in water, which makes it ideal for retrievers and spaniels.
- The Orbee-Tuff is recyclable.
- A three-inch ball fits most dogs’ mouths comfortably.
- It takes more pressure than many other toys to make it squeak, but this could be a good thing.
- The ball can roll out of your pet’s reach.
Squeaky Dog Toy Precautions
Although a squeak is most of the point of a squeaky toy, it can pose problems. If your dog actually reaches his goal of locating it, he could ingest it or choke on it. Make sure you always supervise your dog with squeaky toys until you become familiar with her interaction with them.
If your dog has a high prey drive, he may destroy a toy and reach the squeaker.
If your dog consumes a squeaker, it may become lodged in his small intestine and obstruct it. This would necessitate expensive hospital care and surgery.
Many squeaky toy manufacturers design their playthings to sound like the high-pitched squeals of prey animals. This is not an accident. Squeaky toy sound is very attractive to dogs and even cats and gears them up to a highly predatory state.
To you, it may be satisfying to see your dog take so much to a toy. It takes much of the burden of entertaining him off of you. But this stimulation and resulting behavior can be dangerous.
When a dog enters a prey-driven state, he can become possessive of his toy. This can lead him to guard it and attack other pets, children, or even you if you approach it. In the wild when dogs and wolves protect their kills, they can be lethal. Dogs who guard can inflict serious injuries.
Finally, dogs are natural pack animals, even if you only have a couple who live with you. If the pack hierarchy has not been fully established, introducing prey or a squeaky toy can lead to severe fighting between dogs. Squeaky toys at dog parks similarly set up an adrenaline-fused chase of multiple animals who can easily turn against each other.
Associative Learned Behavior
Dogs that tear apart toys for the squeakers can learn to exhibit aggression towards small things that emit high-pitched sounds. This means they can treat children and small pets like squeaky toys in the absence of the latter. Actually finding a squeaker rewards your dog for this “kill and destroy” type of behavior.
When Are Squeaky Toys Good?
Squeaky toys under most circumstances are best for interactive play between you and your dog or single play under your supervision. Dogs should be monitored very closely when playing with other canids. Large dogs should not be allowed squeaky toys around small breeds, cats, or young children. Pets with aggressive and possessive tendencies should probably not be exposed to squeaky toys.
Squeaky Dog Toy Benefits
Now that you know what type of personality may not do well with squeaky toys, these inventions have immense value and appeal for dogs and puppies.
Even a dog with a sedentary lifestyle requires daily exercise. Canines evolved as active creatures covering vast amounts of territory in search of food and appropriate shelter. Physical activity for your four-legged companion staves off boredom and frustration. Do you notice your dog becomes better-behaved the more exercise he receives?
Dogs exercise requirements largely depend on size and breed. These qualities dictate not only how much your pet needs to exercise but what activities he can actually do. For example, a French bulldog does not need to chase a squeaky ball for two hours to achieve his need for physical activity. However, a Belgian Malinois may require several hours of different activities every day.
Most dogs require 30 to 120 minutes of activity daily. Working breeds, especially the herding group, may need up to 30 minutes of strenuous exercise.
Squeaky toys provide highly interactive means of exercise with minimal effort on your part. You can play fetch with them or allow your dog to run and throw them around. If your pet takes an interest in the toy, it can provide a few hours of intermittent exercise. Your dog can actually choose how long and how rigorous to exercise with a squeaky toy.
Keeping your dog’s mind engaged is as important as keeping his body in good condition. Playing relieves anxiety as well as boredom.
Toys are excellent for capturing your dog’s attention and stimulating her thought processes. On the other hand, lack of play can incite dogs to become destructive with chewing, barking, and digging. Toys generally provide an enriching experience, and something with a squeaker may inspire a reluctant dog to start playing with a toy.
Squeaky toys are well-designed to stimulate and maintain play activities. The squeaky toy sound invites dogs to problem solve while at the same time appealing to senses other than just visual. They also can spark gameplay like running and chasing and pulling and tugging.
Interactive toys facilitate and strengthen the bond between you and your dog. Cuddle time is important but so is a good old-fashioned romp outdoors.
Puppies arguably need toys more than other dogs. Their minds are still growing, and it is more challenging for them to figure out how to entertain themselves. They may also be more vulnerable to the effects of anxiety in a new home.
Like babies, puppies respond positively to multiple forms of stimulation. Plush squeaky toys often appeal to their curiosity with the noise factor and to their need for comfort with the softness and warmth.
Dog Squeaky Toy Benefits in Action
In this video, you can observe several functions of the squeaky toy in action.
Notice how this Jack Russell is engaged and captivated by the squeaky sound of the toy. Also, witness all the actions the squeaky toy satisfies such as chewing, running and jumping, carrying, shaking, and human interaction.
The Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff was our top pick of best dog squeaky toys. It is one of the most durable squeaky dog toys and with its simple but classic design the most universally accepted among dogs.
The Knottie Cow featured an impressive design and was especially attractive to people. We think, in fact, maybe people like it better than dogs. The bone-shaped toy seemed a good idea, but we were concerned about a potentially toxic substance and the hardness of the plastic handles.
Alas, the hedgehog is adorable but cannot light a candle to the Orbee-Tuff’s durability. It makes an excellent comfort toy.