In a hurry? Then check out Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush as our best pick.
As an owner of a golden retriever, it’s your primary duty to make your pup healthy and happy. There are many ways to do this, and one of those is finding the best brush for the golden retriever.
There are many products you can choose from in the market these days. The benefits, features, and cons vary from brush to brush, so it’s our goal to help you find the best brush that will companion your furry best It’s essential that you know what to consider before purchasing so you know exactly what to choose from the many grooming tools available.
In this article, we’re going to review the following top 5 picks:
- FURminator for Dogs Undercoat Deshedding Tool for Dogs
- Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- Chris Christensen Oval Pin Brush
- SAFARI Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs
- PawsPamper Extra Wide Undercoat Rake
Why You Should Groom Your Golden Retriever
According to the American Kennel Club, golden retrievers are America’s third most popular pet dog. This goes to show that there are a lot of pet owners grooming and brushing their golden retrievers at home.
These dogs are known for their happy-go-lucky character. They are very loving and sociable, plus they have a body-full of wavy double-layer coat that requires regular maintenance. It’s their coat that makes this breed unique, which has evolved to support their original job of fetching water and hunting together with humans.
Considerations in Buying the Best Brush for Golden Retriever
Golden retrievers are gentle, fun-loving, and intelligent dogs covered with a flowing golden coat of soft fur. This beautiful coat needs regular grooming, which means that the brush you choose will affect the quality and duration of each grooming session.
In choosing the best brush, here are the things you need to consider:
The coat length of most goldens range from medium to medium-long, but others have especially longer fur and some are quite short. You have to make sure that your brush is appropriately sized.
Unfortunately, some golden retrievers have rashes, skin bumps, dry skin, or skin allergies. When selecting a brush, keep this in mind. You have to make sure that the bristles won’t hurt your dog’s skin.
There are seasons in which goldens will experience heavy shedding, which requires certain grooming tools prone to matting. Assess the condition of your dog’s coat before selecting a brush.
Types of Brushes
There are so many brush styles and designs, but not all have the same functions. There are different types of brushes to ensure that your dog’s fur stays in tip-top shape.
Golden retriever coats are generally made up of two layers: a dense undercoat and a fluffy, flowing, and shiny guard coat. Most owners preferably should have at least two different types of brushes to ensure that the layers are groomed properly.
- Bristle brush: These are brushes with flexible bristles commonly made out of boar hair or nylon. They come in different thickness and length. Short and stiff bristles are perfect for short and wiry textured fur, while long bristles are ideal for longer fur.
- Slicker brush: These are brushes that have thin wire bristles on them and are designed to move easily through the top coat. They come in many sizes and are commonly available with various thickness options. Always read the description of the product to know if this brush is for coarse or fine fur. You can use a slicker brush to remove and prevent mats especially in the longer fur areas and distribute natural oils evenly.
- Undercoat rake: This brush looks like a small rake. It has metal teeth and a handle comfortable enough to grip while brushing. You can use this to clean and detangle the undercoat and removing debris and loose fur. Ensure that the rake reaches the undercoat to remove undesirable elements. The teeth in undercoat rakes differ in length in order to make sure that thick coats are brushed well.
- Porcupine brush: This brush has very stiff plastic or metal pins that may or may not have nubs on the tips. These are a combination of wire pin and bristles perfect for maintaining the guard coat. However, this brush is not intended to reach the undercoat.
- Deshedding tools: Use this brush to remove undercoat gently. This comes with a very fine blade which can be used to remove massive amounts of fur during the dog’s shedding periods.
Top 5 Golden Retriever Brush Reviews
The FURminator brand of grooming tools for dogs continues to raise the bar with their smart and innovative shedding solutions. This deshedding tool is one of its kind and is regarded as one of the best in its category.
This is perfect for huge, long-haired pups due to its long hair stainless steel deshedding edge that reaches through the topcoat and will remove any loose hair. That said, this product is not intended for short haired dogs. This tool will not damage the coat of your pet and makes deshedding easier than ever. It comes with a convenient handle to ensure comfort while brushing and make each brushing experience easy and without stress.
The FURejector button removes and cleans loose hair from the tool easily, minimizing cleaning time. It’s strong enough to deshed, but it’s a guarantee that your dog’s skin won’t have cuts after each session.
- Proven to remove undercoat especially during seasonal times of heavy shedding
- The handle has rubber ridges that provide comfort and control for the user
- Has a fur eject button for easy one-handed cleaning
- Assures there are fewer disruptions when grooming your dog
- Must be handled with care as improper handling can damage the skin or fur of your dog
- Not intended for coat care and only meant as a tool for deshedding.
- This should only be used for golden retrievers with long and full grown undercoat
The Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush has achieved enormous popularity among dog owners for several reasons. This brush easily and gently detangles the coat of your golden retriever, remove matting and shed hair, and perhaps the best part is that cleaning it comes easy with merely a press of a button.
The self-cleaning feature offers painless and quick fur removal. Despite having tiny pins, cleaning it easy. You only need to push a button and fur is removed from the brush thoroughly. While other slicker brushes have the same feature, the technology that Hertzko uses operates without sticking or jamming. This lessens the time in the entire process of grooming your dog and cleanup after each session.
The slicker pins are secured by the cleaning component when the brush isn’t being used. This will keep the brush pins straight and will keep any unintentional jabbing when you go after your brush in your prepping unit. The ergonomics of this brush make it simple to use for even expanded prepping sessions. The handle has an indented region that permits a spot for the thumb and more prominent brush control, and the handle has delicate elastic grasps for agreeable and compact taking care of.
The slicker pins on this brush give a pleasurable preparing background to grown-up puppies that are impervious to prepping just as youthful pooches that don’t have involvement with prepping sessions.
- Removes mats, tangles, bunches, soil, and dander
- Great for regular brushing and preparing
- Pins venture deep into the coat without scratching your pet’s skin
- Durable item with excellent materials
- Increases blood course and encourages a sound coat on your pet
- cleaning capacity works easily and makes the brush simple to clean without getting the wires bowed
- Ergonomic handle anticipates wrist strain
- More costly than most straightforward slicker brushes, yet in addition worth the speculation as a result of the brilliant materials and structure
The Chris Christensen Original Series of oval pin brushes are durable and high-quality brushes. They come with polished and ground tips on the pins for comfort and are designed to glide through the coat with ease.
This brush won’t hurt your golden retriever as every pin end is rounded. This is a big deal if your dog gets easily irritated every time you try to brush his long coat.
Also, you don’t have to worry about the accumulated fur on the brush. You won’t have to scrape it off with another brush since it will come off like a dream. There are no sharp pins, so you won’t feel any stabbing when you remove the fur off of the brush.
- Firm cushion, durable
- Lightweight with solid beech wood body
- Easy grip handle
- High-quality stainless steel pins
- Ground and polished tips allow for smoother brushing
- Kind of expensive
Puppy owners additionally rave about the particularly molded Safari Pet Products Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs.
You can essentially skim the bramble along your pooch’s back without applying any weight whatsoever and it will lift away shed hair, garbage, and soil.
It will help keep your Golden’s hide gleaming and solid by expelling soil and free hair and appropriating the characteristic oils of your puppy’s skin over the coat. Utilizing it normally will shield your pet’s hide from tangling and lessen the measure of shed hair in your home.
At that point, the fibers withdraw with the push of a catch to clean the brush.
- Gently evacuates tangles, tangles and free hair
- Available in little, medium and expansive sizes
- Ergonomic structure
- Safe and simple to utilize
- Could be difficult to remove tangles/mats from long hair coat
This undercoat rake with its smooth wooden handle is an expert groomer’s best-stayed secret.
In the event that you have a pooch or feline that sheds a ton, it’s imperative to prepare their jackets a few times each week—yet don’t shave them. Shaving your pet’s undercoat will diminish their capacity to manage their own body temperature. That is the place the undercoat rake comes in. You’ll take out abundance hide—without stripping or demolishing your pet’s wonderful coat.
- No skin bothering dematting instrument
- Premium craftsmanship: delightfully made shedding brush with a wooden handle and a solid handle development
- Perfect for all breeds
- No questions asked discount approach
- The “teeth” on this rake are so short, it is extremely unlikely I could viably evacuate the thick undercoat on my puppy as this item publicizes!
Picking the best brush for golden retriever will keep your pup spotless, free of mats and with a shiny coat that keeps him dry and warm. It will likewise keep your indoor regions cleaner and will limit free pet hair on your garments, furniture, and floors.
That being stated, the clear winner of this roundup is the Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush.
This item is profoundly prescribed by pet proprietors, vets, and expert groomers alike. It is a convenient apparatus for keeping you Golden’s double coat perfect, delicate and sound.
The adaptable wires are delicate on the skin while as yet entering the thick hide and altogether brushing a thick double coat.
The brush is easy to hold, and its self-cleaning feature makes it simple to clean.
What do you think is the best brush? Tell us in the comments below.